INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may collect a variety of information from or about you or your devices from various sources, as described below.
If you do not provide your information when requested, you may not be able to use our Services if that information is necessary to provide you with our Services or if we are legally required to collect it.
Information You Provide to Us
Registration and Profile Information. If you sign up for an account; register to become a member of our Services; sign up for notifications, news, alerts, or publications; register to attend or otherwise participate in our events; or participate in our surveys or contests, we may ask you for your name, address, telephone number, email address, demographic information (such as ZIP code, age, level, job title), and other information.
Payment Information. When you make a donation or add a credit card or payment method to your account, a third-party service provider that handles payments for us will receive your payment information.
• Blogs. If you submit comments to our blog, you may choose to include personal information in your comments, and you also may be required to submit your name and email address along with your comment. In such a case, we may use your name to identify you as a commenter.
• Contact Us. You may communicate with us using the “contact us” feature or other contact information made available on our Services. When you send us a communication in such a manner or otherwise contact us directly, we may receive additional information about you, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, the contents of a message or attachments that you may send to us, and other information you choose to provide. If you subscribe to our newsletter, we will collect certain information from you, such as your email address. When we send you emails, we may track whether you open them to learn how to deliver a better customer experience and improve our Services.
Information We Collect When You Use Our Services
Device Information. We receive information about the device and software you use to access our Services, including internet protocol (“IP”) address, web browser type, operating system version, phone carrier and manufacturer, installed applications, device identifiers, mobile advertising identifiers, and push notification tokens.
Location Information. When you use our Services, we infer the general physical location of your device and the geographic regions our users come from. For example, your IP address may indicate your general geographic region.
Usage Information. To help us understand how you use our Services and to help us improve them, when you use our Services we automatically receive information about your interactions with our Services, including how many users have visited our site, the specific pages users accessed, how long users viewed those pages, the searches users conducted, the dates and time of users’ visits, and how users came to and where they went from those pages.
Information from Cookies and Similar Technologies. We and third-party partners collect information using cookies, pixel tags, or similar technologies. Our third-party partners, such as analytics and advertising partners, may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across different services. Cookies are small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters that are placed on your computer’s hard drive when you visit certain websites. Cookies may enhance your online experience by saving your preferences while you are visiting a particular site. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to our Services.
Please review your web browser’s “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the features of the Services.
Information We Receive from Third Parties
We may receive additional information about you, such as demographic data, from third parties such as marketing partners or social media partners and combine it with other information we have about you.
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use the information we collect:
• To provide, maintain, improve, and enhance our Services;
• To communicate with you, provide you with updates and other information relating to our Services, provide information that you request, respond to comments and questions, and otherwise provide customer support;
• For marketing purposes, such as developing and providing promotional and advertising materials that may be useful, relevant, valuable, or otherwise of interest to you;
• To personalize your experience on our Services such as presenting tailored content;
• To send you text messages and push notifications;
• To facilitate transactions and payments;
• To de-identify and aggregate information collected through the Services and use it for any lawful purpose;
• To find and prevent fraud, and respond to trust and safety issues that may arise;
• For compliance purposes, including enforcing our legal rights, or as may be required by applicable laws and regulations or requested by any judicial process or governmental agency; and
• For other purposes for which we provide specific notice at the time the information is collected.
HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may share or otherwise disclose information we collect from or about you as described below or otherwise disclosed to you at the time of collection.
Vendors and Service Providers. We may share your information with our vendors and service providers. (For example, we may work with a third-party service provider to process online event registrations.)
Marketing. We do not rent, sell, or share information about you with nonaffiliated companies for their direct marketing purposes, unless we have your permission.
Analytics Partners. We use analytics services such as Google Analytics to collect and process certain analytics data. These services may also collect information about your use of other websites, apps, and online resources. You can learn about Google’s practices by going to google.com/policies/privacy/partners, and opt-out of them by downloading the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, available at tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
As Required by Law and Similar Disclosures. We may access, preserve, and disclose some or all of your information in response to a request or demand from law enforcement authorities or other government officials, or as otherwise required by law, or when we believe such disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal or unethical activity. For the avoidance of doubt, the disclosure of your information may occur if you post any objectionable content on or through the Services.
Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers. In the event BFA becomes part of another organization, we reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you to the new organization. We may disclose and transfer your information to service providers, advisors, potential transactional partners, or other third parties in connection with the consideration, negotiation, or completion of a corporate transaction in which we are acquired by or merged with another organization or we sell, liquidate, or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets.
Consent. We may also disclose information from or about you or your devices with your permission.
Sharing Preferences. Certain information, such as your comments on blogs, may always be publicly available to others.
Marketing Communications. You can unsubscribe from our promotional emails via the link provided in the emails. Even if you opt out of receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us.
If you choose not to provide us with information we collect, some features of our Services may not work as intended.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
We maintain reasonable safeguards designed to protect the information we receive and maintain. However, as our Services are hosted electronically, we do not make any express or implied representations, warranties, guarantees, or promises with respect to the effectiveness of such safeguards, including against theft, breach, hack, or other infiltration or exfiltration, and shall not be liable to you in the event of any resulting loss or misuse of your information.
Our Services are hosted in the United States and intended for visitors located within the United States. If you choose to use the Services from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personal information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing. Also, we may transfer your data from the U.S. to other countries or regions in connection with storage and processing of data, fulfilling your requests, and operating the Services. By providing any information, including personal information, on or to the Services, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
UPDATE YOUR INFORMATION OR POSE A QUESTION
If you have any questions about our information practices, please contact us by email.
Last Updated: Dec 16, 2019